Winter 2019/20

Winter Issue of the 2019/20 academic year.

Book Reviews

Creative Pieces

A collection of sustainability themed creative pieces like poems, photographs, art

For the fifth young person queuing in front of me, an assembly line boxing opinions and ideologies in confined choices, I see the young ones; a pale faced girl, left fist tensed, clutching fingers across crisp ballot paper, hand sticky, ink transferring to stamp blank skin, voting decisions etched like...

Ecological Economics

Ecological Economics addresses the interdependence and coevolution of the economy, society and the natural environment, understanding the economy as an embedded subsystem of the planet. Student work in this section discusses social and environmental issues from this perspective.

Water covers over two-thirds of our planet, yet, less than 3% is freshwater suitable for consumption [1]. Certain countries are water-rich, while many others are facing water scarcity. The inadequate access to water gives rise to disease, with shigellosis being the most prominent bacterial infection resulting from poor water quality...

The Amazon and Australia are burning. England and Venice are flooded. Indonesia is having to relocate its capital to Borneo as Jakarta is sinking (1).  Seven million people were displaced as a result of climate change and climate disasters, not over the last 3 or 5 years, but in the...

“The number of overweight people in the world, suffering their own health problems, is roughly equal to the number of hungry people” [1]. A shocking United Nations statistic revealed that there is enough food on the planet to feed every single one of us a diet of around 2,800 calories...

The average life span of a tree in the amazon is approximately just over 300 years old, and have lasted generations, though due to deforestation these trees are being cut down [1]. Deforestation is one of the most critical contributors to climate change and is estimated to contribute 25% of...

Essential things for modern life, such as smartphones, laptops and televisions may influence on our health. How many years have you used your smartphones? The answer depends on you, but I’m sure many people did “model change” several times this decade. As rapid technological developments, many people live with smartphones and computers....

Long Read

Although the aviation industry emphasizes that aviation is only responsible for around 2.5% of global CO2 emissions (Chèze et al., 2012) there is no denial around the fact that the emissions of this sector have risen by 38% in five years (from 2013 to 2018).  This makes its growth rate...

Profiles

Interviews and profiles of sustainability students, researchers and activists

In December 2019, two former Leeds students met for a conversation about System Change and Degrowth in Zurich. Rosie Watson (BA Environment & Business graduate) was passing through on her amazing New Story Run: Climate Activism journey, a solo and unsupported run across Europe and Asia. Viktoria Cologna (MEnv Sustainability and...

Reviews

Student Research

In this section, students provide interesting insight into their current sustainability related research projects

Student Sustainability Research Conference 2020

Coverage of the Student Sustainability Research Conference 2020

As a Student Sustainability Architect working on the Leeds Sustainable Curriculum and Conference projects, the days and weeks leading up to the 2020 Student Sustainability Research Conference on 26 February were filled with logistical preparation, back-and-forth coordination with student presenters and related staff, and a posting up a healthy amount...

For the fifth young person queuing in front of me, an assembly line boxing opinions and ideologies in confined choices, I see the young ones; a pale faced girl, left fist tensed, clutching fingers across crisp ballot paper, hand sticky, ink transferring to stamp blank skin, voting decisions etched like...

Sustainability Architects

Student Sustainability Architects work closely with the University of Leeds to develop and deliver projects that are in line with the University Sustainability Strategy. This section provides an overview of some of the research projects that architects are working on.

As a Student Sustainability Architect working on the Leeds Sustainable Curriculum and Conference projects, the days and weeks leading up to the 2020 Student Sustainability Research Conference on 26 February were filled with logistical preparation, back-and-forth coordination with student presenters and related staff, and a posting up a healthy amount...

Who knew waste management could be so interesting? During my time as an architect, my role is to understand the current waste management practices at University of Leeds and implement solutions to reduce the overall single plastic usage. My main priority is in collaboration with Leeds plastic free ban, where...

Uncategorised

In December 2019, two former Leeds students met for a conversation about System Change and Degrowth in Zurich. Rosie Watson (BA Environment & Business graduate) was passing through on her amazing New Story Run: Climate Activism journey, a solo and unsupported run across Europe and Asia. Viktoria Cologna (MEnv Sustainability and...